Wednesday, June 20, 2018

Writers Unite!


Today’s blog post is by Shannon Anderson, who will be presenting two sessions at the 2018 Steel Pen Creative Writers’ Conference on October 27. (Learn more at www.steelpenconference.org.)

By
Shannon Anderson
If you are a writer, you know it can be a lonely profession or hobby. Sometimes, working alone is exactly the way we like it! However, there are times that we do need to lean on each other for encouragement, constructive feedback, and advice from someone more experienced.

Zig Ziglar, a famous author and motivational speaker says, “You can have everything you want in life if you will just help other people get what they want.” I believe this to be true. Helping others is also just the right thing to do as a caring human being.

My philosophy and desire in life is to keep learning so that I can, in turn, keep teaching and sharing what I learn. Maya Angelou, also a famous writer and poet says, “When you get, give. When you learn, teach.”  As a teacher and author myself, I strive to always have something new to share. It not only helps others, but also keeps me energized and eager to continue in my pursuit to improve.

Besides continuous professional development to improve my classroom teaching, I love to attend conferences and workshops to learn first-hand from other authors and industry professionals in the book world. I have learned and published a lot over the years, but know that I have a LOT more to learn.

As I challenge myself to try out various writing paths, to write in different genres, and to move up in the business, I also enjoy sharing what I have done so far and learned along the way. I started out in the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators as a member back in 2009 and now serve as the regional advisor for the state of Indiana. I plan all of our events and conferences. I also do school visits to motivate kids to love writing and instruct teachers on how to incorporate creative writing in the classroom. Through these opportunities, I now also present across the country at writing conferences and workshops to help other writers.

My summer has kicked off to a great start with several author visits to schools still in session and presentations and critiques at a three-day SCBWI writing conference in Evansville. In the coming weeks, I’ll be presenting at the Indiana Book Festival in Muncie, the Chicago Writer’s Day Workshop, the Prairie Arts Council Art Camp, and the All Write Summer Institute in Warsaw.

But, just as it is important to share, it is important to learn. So, in addition to teaching, I’ll have the opportunity to learn at the Write to Publish Conference in Illinois, a Highlights Foundation Workshop in Pennsylvania, and the SCBWI International Conference in Los Angeles.  I highly recommend all of these opportunities to learn!

This brings me to the purpose of my blog post today. If you want the chance to learn a lot about writing in a one-day, inexpensive workshop, you should consider the Steel Pen Conference on October 27th. Registration is now open and I’m excited to share two of my presentations with you. I’ll be teaching a Picture Book Boot Camp, as well as a session entitled, Ready, Set, Grow…Your Opportunities. If you are interested in writing picture books for kids or want to know how to get started with any genre, I’d love to help you out! I’m excited to be invited to share at this conference and look forward to learning from the other presenters. Until then, keep learning, keep writing, and keep sharing with others!

__________

Shannon Anderson is an award-winning children’s book author and third-grade teacher. She is the regional advisor for the Indiana Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators, is on the executive board for the Indiana State Reading Association, and is a frequent presenter at teaching and writing conferences. She loves teaching, presenting, writing, and running very early in the morning. Shannon and her police chief hubby have two daughters and live in Indiana. You can visit her website at www.shannonisteaching.com to find out more.


No comments:

Post a Comment