Wednesday, February 8, 2017

How to Find Limitless Inspiration

by
Louis Martinez

It can be hard to write a gripping tale when you’re lacking inspiration, and at times, a reliable source can seem hard to come by.
Writing a story without inspiration can be like getting up at 5:00AM for a 15-hour shift at a miserable job. Believe me, I would know. I’ve tried both.
So how can an aspiring writer get around this dilemma? Is there a full-proof way to beat the struggle and get right back on track every time? Maybe, and maybe not. I know I’ve got a trick that always works for me, and maybe, just maybe, it might work for someone else reading this as well.
So, how do I conjure up my limitless source of inspiration? It’s simple really, but you have to be willing to try. What I do, and what always works for me, is to evoke an emotion pertinent to the type of story I’m trying to write. Most often, I use fear.
How do I go about this? There’s only two things needed: a wealth of riveting information, and a means to access it. And if you’re reading this right now, you have both. Human history, and the Internet.
Following in the footsteps of Wes Craven, the Master of Horror, the best inspiration comes from real life, and our past is riddled with dark tales sure to make anyone feel like they’re being watched. Try searching for “true horror stories from history,” and soak in all you can.
Then, as you find yourself alone in a cold, quiet room, let your mind wander into the abyss. Let the darkness consume you, and write down what you bring back. You’re sure to be pleased with the results. I know I always am.
The benefits of this go beyond simply crafting a great story. If you struggle with fear and anxiety, you might already be plagued by the darkness at all times. In which case, turning your real life horrors into works of fiction might help you cope. It could lead you to a better understanding of yourself and the struggles you face and even help loved ones understand your trials if you’re willing to share with them. And for some, putting your fears into words can help you gain the control over your mind that’s always seemed to be out of your reach. I know writing has helped me process feelings of despair, and I’m sure it could do the same for terror.
If you can learn to use your own mind to generate inspiration, you’ll never run out. I believe Wes Craven was a master at observing the dark side of this world and using it to spark his imagination. Learn to combine your own bad experiences with real life horror stories, warping them all into the twisted tales that haunt our dreams.
If you’re like me, and willing to embrace the horrors of this world and your mind, you’ll never find yourself wanting for inspiration. If you’re not, or if you’re simply writing a lighter tale, just switch up your search. Human history is also full of happy, heartwarming tales. Try searching for “uplifting stories from history.” You’ll find what you’re looking for and lots more to go with it.
Look to the world around you, and look within yourself. Do this, and you will find your own personal source of limitless inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment