Still, all writers start out unknown, and any member of your critique group might be a future bestselling author. Including you.
But first you have to belong to one.
Northwest Indiana has a number of writers' critique groups that are open to new members. Here are some suggestions:
- The Highland Writers' Group meets from 3:30 to 6:00 p.m. on most Saturdays. On the first and third Saturdays of the month, HWG meets at Grindhouse Cafe, 146 N. Broad St., Griffith, Indiana. On the second and fourth Saturdays, it meets at Blackbird Cafe, 114 Lincolnway, Valparaiso, Indiana. This is a classic critique group where members encourage each other by providing helpful comments for improvement. Members write all genres, and there are no dues. New members and visitors over 18 are always welcome. For more information, contact Gordon Stamper at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Magic Hour Writers meets at 6:30 p.m. every second Thursday at the Chapel Lawn Banquet Room, 8178 Cline, Crown Point, Indiana. The group's mission is to encourage and promote excellence in writing for children through friendship, education, and peer support to writing colleagues. For more information, e-mail Jackie Huppenthal at email@example.com or check out the group's blog site at http://magichourwriters.blogspot.com.
- The Northwest Indiana Poetry Society meets at 10:00 a.m. every third Saturday at Lowell Public Library, 1505 East Commercial Ave., Lowell, Indiana. "Words in rhymes, metered times, some thought provoking verse." For further information, call or e-mail Tom Spencer at 219-696-3338 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Prairie Writers Guild meets at 6:00 p.m. the first Wednesday of each month, almost always at the City Office and Pub in Rensselaer, Indiana. PWG promotes writing and writers in Northwest Indiana. New writers are always welcome. Stop by, have dinner, or just introduce yourself. For more information, go to http://prairiewriters.wordpress.com.
- Write-On Hoosiers meets at 6:30 p.m. each first and third Wednesday (January through November) at the Chapel Lawn Banquet Room, 8178 Cline, Crown Point, Indiana. Its mission is to offer education, friendship, and assistance to fellow writers and to promote the excellence of writing in all its forms. For more information, e-mail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. check out the group's website at www.writeonhoosiers.org, or read the group's blog at http://writeonhoosiers.blogspot.com.